Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Northern Blue Hills Ice Age Trail Segment

I had an excellent time hiking some of the Northern Blue Hills segment of the Ice Age Trail yesterday afternoon with Ben, Sarah and Ellie. We only had enough time to complete the section from Stout Rd to Bucks Lake Rd, but this really is a beautiful section of trail. It consists of several beaver dam crossings, a lot of mixed hardwood forest and many, many rolling hills. It joins an old narrow logging road as it follows and crosses a creek several times. I would like to hike it again in just a few months when it's a little greener.

Afterward, we also made an attempt to hike back to the Blue Hills "Felsenmeer" west of Hwy. W, but were unsuccessful in finding it...I need to do a little more research on which logging road gets you close. Finishing up just in time for happy hour, clearly we had to stop in Birchwood for some dirt cheap pints of Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale!

Up until yesterday, I hadn't really done much hiking this winter/spring...just a few runs here and there. After a typical 3-4 week session of grinding the legs down to nothing on the bike, this week has been nice and relaxing...I'm trying to allow my legs to rebuild and prepare for the last session of hard work before tapering down in May. The Almanzo 100 will be here in no time, and the prospects for the Chequamegon 100's waiting list (including myself) are looking good! Whether or not I'll be truly prepared for these back-to-back events only time will tell...





No comments:

Post a Comment