Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuscobia Ultra Report


All right - I figured that I better include my FIRST race report ever on my first blog! Although I'll have the eternal doom of receiving a DNF on my first bike race...I was certainly physically and mentally prepared for this race, and have no regrets on the outcome. In retrospect, it was an awesome time, and an awesome learning experience!!!....

-----

www.tuscobiaultra.com - Saturday December 19th, 2009 - DNF - Summary: Pushing your bike and 25lbs of gear 16 miles through the snow!

With a forecast of "Wintry Mix"...freezing rain and sleet the evening before...we were all pretty optimistic about the trail conditions. What many of us thought would be a 8-10 hour day of hammering to Park Falls on nice hard packed snow quickly became a hike....not a bike race. This was a day for Pugsleys only.

The story starts with one minor issue the evening before. When completing my final gear check and filling up my camelback bladder I noticed a small hole on the top. I figured this was an easy fix with some super glue...so I sealed up the leak and filled the bladder with Haterade. I tipped it upside-down and it didn't seem to be leaking anymore...problem solved. In the morning I loaded up the rest of my gear and was at the trailhead by 6:30. While waiting for the shuttle from Park Falls to deliver the rest of the racers I had some time to check out the other rigs. Most everyone was riding Surley Pugsleys - fat snow bikes with oversized chain stays and forks to accommodate 4 in wide rims and tires. I had my standard summer MTB - a Paramount rigid steel 26er set up with some studded tires...which over the past few weeks had treated me quite well on the trails even with snowy conditions. Once the other racers arrived I had some comfort in knowing I wasn't the only dude with skinny tires.

The race begins...and it only took about 100 yards of attempted riding to realize this was going to be a day from frozen hell. Looking around I noticed that everyone was having a difficult time getting moving on their bikes. My psi definitely must be too high...so I drop a little air out and once again jump on to hammer away. I quickly realize that's not working either. Aside from a few guys up front, everyone (including many Puglsey riders) seemed to be hiking/pushing their bikes...we’re moving so slow that the bikers are getting passed by the hikers and skiers pulling gear toboggans. I would come to a section where the ground/snow seemed harder, so I'd jump on the bike and pedal 30-40 yards...only to hit another soft section and nearly lose control, once again ejecting me off the bike in to the trees. Argh....so I continue to push/fast hike/run with my bike and 25lbs of gear...hoping that trail conditions will eventually improve. Looking down I notice the bootie cover on my right shoe has torn, the bootie is slipping off and snow is getting jammed in to my shoes…it was only a matter of minutes before my feet begin to get cold and wet. In an attempt to reach down and slip the bootie back on and remove the snow, a stream of liquid pours over my right shoulder… it’s my Haterade….and at this point it has leaked all over my back and leg. I was now soaked head to toe in 20 degree weather! With no sag wagon available, my only option was to push another 12 miles or so to Birchwood (at this point I had traveled 3 miles tops). As I continue to push along I catch word from 2 other riders who had already bailed (on Pugsley's) that trail conditions improve north of Birchwood – “You can jump on there and fly!”….fat chance! I continue to push along while chatting with another skinny tire guy...and conditions only get worse. On this section we now have the pleasure of inhaling hazy blue snowmobile exhaust while we’re soaking wet and suffering. After pushing a few more miles, reason finally came over us. We bailed out at the next rode…this just wasn’t our day.

I’ll be interested to see how many bikers actually finished. I think the count was less than half when I called it quits. It was a 24 hour race for the skiers and runners...I’m still waiting for the results. After all that glorious suffering, I felt a little relieved when I found out that the gentlemen who bailed with me is one of the best mountain bikers in the Midwest. At least there's some consolation knowing that I cracked with best of ‘em. Oh well…there’s always next year! Time to build up a Pugsley!

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment